0844 443 5450
- Articles View Hits
Please consider supporting our efforts.
Or Send Donations by post to:
Manningtree, EssexCO11 1SD
Experiments with Cress [and Wi-Fi] in 9th Grade attracts international attention [Denmark] 16th May 2013
- Parent Category: Health
Foreign researchers are extremely excited for a biology project from five 9th grade girls.
Researchers from England, Holland and Sweden have shown great interest in the five girls' biology experiments.
Take 400 Cress seeds and place them into 12 trays. Then place six trays in two rooms at the same temperature. Give them the same amount of water and sun over 12 days, and remember to expose half of them to mobile [Wi-Fi] radiation.
It is a recipe for a biology test so brilliant that it has attracted international attention among acknowledged biologists and radiation experts. Behind the experiment are five girls from 9b in Hjallerup School in North Jutland, and it all started because they found it difficult to concentrate during the school day:
- We all think we have experienced difficulty concentrating in school, if we had slept with the phone next to our head, and sometimes also experienced having difficulty sleeping, explains Lea Nielsen, who is one of the five aspiring researchers.
The school was not equipped to test the effect of mobile phone radiation on them. Therefore, the girls had to find an alternative. And the answer was Cress.
Six trays of seeds were put into a room without radiation, and six trays were put into another room next to two [Wi-Fi] routers. Such routers broadcast the same type of radiation as an ordinary mobile.
The "healthy" cress without the influence of the router. Photo: The girls from 9b
Then it was just necessary to wait 12 days, observe, measure, weigh and take pictures along the way. And the result spoke was clear: cress seeds next to the router did not grow, and some of them were even mutated or dead.
- It is truly frightening that there is so much affect, so we were very shocked by the result, says Lea Nielsen.
The "sick" cress exposed to the [Wi-Fi] router. Photo: The girls from 9b
The experiment secured the girls the finals in the competition "Young Scientists", but it was only the beginning. Renowned scientists from England, Holland and Sweden have since shown great interest in the girls' project so far.
From left: Lea Nielsen, Mathilde Nielsen, Signe Nielsen, Sisse Coltau and Rikke Holm. Photo: Kim Horsevad
The renowned professor at the Karolinska Institute in Stockholm, Olle Johansson, is one of the impressed researchers. He will now repeat the experiment with a Belgian research colleague, Professor Marie-Claire Cammaert at the Université libre de Bruxelles, for the trial, according to him, is absolutely brilliant:
- The girls stayed within the scope of their knowledge, skilfully implemented and developed a very elegant experiment. The wealth of detail and accuracy is exemplary, choosing cress was very intelligent, and I could go on, he says.
He is not slow to send them an invitation to go on the road:
- I sincerely hope that they spend their future professional life in researching, because I definitely think they have a natural aptitude for it. Personally, I would love to see these people in my team!
No mobile by the bed
The five girls from northern Jutland have not yet decided their future careers. They are still very surprised by all the sudden attention.
- It has been such a rollercoaster ride. I still cannot believe it, says Lea Nielsen.
And Mathilde Nielsen added:
- It's totally overwhelming and exciting. It's just not something you experience every day.
But there have also been other consequences of the cress trial, which is quite low-tech in nature.
- None of us sleep with the mobile next to the bed anymore. Either the phone is put far away, or it is put in another room. And the computer is always off, says Lea Nielsen.
Barrie Trower on WiFi - Irreplaceable DNA Damage
Smart Meter Roll-Out - Response by Dr Andrew Goldsworthy, Lecturer in Biology (retired) Imperial College London
1. Smart Meters will not deliver value for money.
2. We should not expect any reduction in cost to the average consumer. In fact, people in the USA and Canada who already have Smart Meters have usually found that they bills have risen, partly because the meters have to be paid for out of revenue and partly because many people (particularly the poor and elderly) will not understand the complex tariffs. Past experience in the UK has shown that utility companies, when given the opportunity to use complex tariffs, use them to their own advantage. However, any potential benefits will be more than outweighed by the known and predicted health effects from being exposed 24/7 to intermittent microwave radiation.
3. There have been no truly successful implementations of Smart Meters in other countries because of their deleterious effects on health. Many users in the USA and Canada have experienced serious effects on their health, including severe headaches, tinnitus, dizziness, nausea and poor sleep following their installation. The mechanisms of these effects are now known, which may be regarded as further evidence that they are real.
4. Effects on the inner ear
Tinnitus, dizziness and nausea are due to false activation of the sensitive “hair cells” of the inner ear. When it occurs in those of the cochlea, it can cause tinnitus (false sensations of sound). These hair cells can detect sound of as little as a billionth of a watt by first converting it to electrical signals that then trigger nerve impulses that are sent to the brain. They are also sensitive, even to weak pulsed microwaves.
When this occurs in the hair cells of the vestibular system (the part of the inner ear concerned with balance) they too send false signals to the brain, causing dizziness, loss of balance and symptoms of motion sickness, including nausea. These can be very debilitating.
5. Effects on the brain itself are also due to the pulsed microwave radiation interfering with its normal electrical activity by generating extra by false nerve impulses. This can result in brain hyperactivity, stress headaches and a reduced ability to concentrate (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)).
6. Autism can occur when ADHD occurs in the brain of the foetus and/or childrenunder about 18 months. It can interfere with normal learning during this relatively brief period when the brain is concerned primarily with recognizing body language, other peoples’ emotions, basic communication skills and social interactions. At the end of this period, what the child has learnt become hard-wired into its psyche and cannot easily be added to later. This can result in one of a whole range of autistic spectrum disorders in which the child lacks one or more communications skills (often with other disorders) and is usually irreversible.
7. Microwave exposure has been linked to a fifty-fold increase in autism since the advent of mobile phones, cordless phones and their respective base stations. About one child in fifty is now likely to be at least partially autistic and the annual economic cost of autism in the UK has been estimated by workers at King’s College London as being about £27 billion. Wireless Smart Meters can only make this worse. Can the Nation afford it?
8. Other reported long-term effects of pulsed microwaves are obesity and fatigue. Exposure to the radiation from mobile phones and their base stations (circa seven years for living within 100 metres of a base station) is damaging to the thyroid gland, which is in an exposed position in the front of the neck. This results in hypothyroidism, the main symptoms of which are obesity and fatigue. It may be no coincidence that the Western World is currently suffering from an outbreak of obesity and chronic fatigue syndrome that Wireless Smart Meters can only be expected to exacerbate. The economic and health costs of both are also enormous; can we afford them?
9. The disturbing effects of Wireless Smart Meters on sleep and cancer are apparently due to a reduction in melatonin production (a sleep hormone) by the pineal gland in the brain. This is also worrying since it disrupts our natural circadian rhythms. These circadian rhythms also control our immune systems, which are normally most active during what the body clock “thinks” is night (the subjective night). Similar disruption of the circadian rhythms of shift workers and people regularly exposed to light at night has been found to give rise to cardiac problems and reduced immunity to diseases. There is also a more than doubled risk of getting several forms of cancer as the immune system fails to dispose of aberrant cancer cells from various sources. Exposure to light at night is recognized by the World Health Organisation as being a Group 2A carcinogen (probably carcinogenic). We can therefore expect the current Group 2B status of wireless Smart meters to be elevated to Group 2A. Is the Government or Power Industry happy to take this risk with every household in the land? I hope not.
9. The situation is potentially worse in the UK than in the USA and Canada, where the meters are usually on the outside of houses and relatively little power is needed to transmit the signal. In the UK, most meters are either under the stairs; i.e. in the centre of the house or in the basement, so a much higher signal strength is needed to reach the base station. Therefore our own exposure will be that much greater and the symptoms likely to be worse.
10. Vulnerable customers should certainly not be allocated wireless smart meters,nor should charities be encouraged to support them. There will inevitably be litigation that charities may not be able to afford when their effects of health become fully recognized.
11. The main pitfall in the introduction of wireless smart meters is the effects of their regular radiation pattern (especially at night) on the health of consumers. If you must have wireless smart meters for billing purposes, they should be restricted to one transmission per day and even that should not occur at night.
12. However, it would be far better to use a wired of fibre optic connection using the telephone or broadband connections, which virtually every household already has.
13. DECC is not giving the public the necessary information to enable it to decide on the safety of smart meters, particularly their likely effects on cancer and other health concerns. Either it does not know about them or it has been badly misinformed.
14, There are thousands of peer-reviewed scientific papers showing biological effects from electromagnetic fields (including microwaves) that may be orders of magnitude below official safety standards (these only measure the short term heating effects). Seewww.bioinitiative.org <http://www.bioinitiative.org/> . Compliance with these standards cannot therefore be taken as an indication of safety. The public should be informed of this so that they can make a sensible and fully informed decision about the safety of wireless smart meters.
14. To carry out compulsory mass exposure to pulsed microwave radiation without the fully informed consent of the people affected is in contravention of the Nuremberg code.
15. The question of security of supply has not been adequately addressed. Any wireless connection is vulnerable to electromagnetic interference such as that from solar flares, not to mention deliberate attempts at hacking by potential enemies (remember the Stuxnet virus, which destroyed the centrifuges needed for the Iranian nuclear program). Similar attacks on our smart meter system or the intense magnetic fields from a direct hit by the radiation from a solar flare could destroy the electronics of our wireless smart meters (which are designed to fail to the off position) so that the whole nation could be in darkness and without power. If that happened, it could be months if not longer before the meters were replaced and power restored. The likelihood that the meters will be outsourced from another country (probably from China) that will be aware of any vulnerability does little to inspire confidence in our procurement policies.
In conclusion, to go ahead with this wireless smart meter program can at best be described as foolhardy and at worst a recipe for National Suicide.
Dr Andrew Goldsworthy
Lecturer in Biology (retired)
Imperial College London
Written evidence to Commons Select Committee
BioInitiative 2012 five-year update
- Parent Category: Health
A new report by the BioInitiative Working Group 2012 says that evidence for risks to health has substantially increased since 2007 from electromagnetic fields and wireless technologies (radiofrequency radiation). The Report reviews over 1600 new scientific studies. Cell phone users, parents-to-be, young children and pregnant woman are at particular risk.
There is a consistent pattern of increased risk for glioma (a malignant brain tumour) and acoustic neuroma with use of mobile and cordless phones saysLennart Hardell, MD at Orebro University, Sweden. “Epidemiological evidence shows that radiofrequency should be classified as human carcinogen. The FCC/IEEE and ICNIRP public safety limits and reference levels are not adequate to protect public health.”
A dozen new studies link cell phone radiation to sperm damage. Even a cell phone in the pocket or on a belt may harm sperm DNA, result in misshapen sperm, and impair fertility in men. Laptop computers with wireless internet connections can damage DNA in sperm.
Based on strong evidence for vulnerable biology in autism, EMF/RFR can plausibly increase autism risk and symptoms.
While we aggressively investigate the links between autism disorders and wireless technologies, we should minimize wireless and EMF exposures for people with autism disorders, children of all ages, people planning a baby, and during pregnancy,” says Martha Herbert, MD, PHD.
Wireless devices such as phones and laptops used by pregnant woman may alter brain development of the fetus. This has been linked in both animal and human studies to hyperactivity, learning and behaviour problems.
According to David O. Carpenter, MD, and co-editor of the 2012 Report.
There is now much more evidence to health affecting billions of people world-wide. The status quo is not acceptable in light of the evidence of harm.”
This study covers EMF from powerlines, electrical wiring, appliances and hand-held devices; and from wireless technologies (cell and cordless phones, cell towers, ‘smart meters’, Wi-Fi, wireless laptops, wireless routers, baby monitors, and other electronic devices). Health topics include damage to DNA and genes, effects on memory, learning, behaviour, attention, sleep disruption, cancer and neurological diseases like Alzheimer’s disease. New safety standards are urgently needed for protection against EMF and wireless exposures that now appear everywhere in daily life.
The BioInitiative 2012 Report is available at www.bioinitiative.org on 7th January, 2013
Resonance - Beings of Frequency - How EMFs are Destroying the Earth - 2012
- Parent Category: TV Shows & Documentaries
N.B. For contractual reasons the film has been made private for now but will be available again for free later in the year
RESONANCE is a sensational eye opening documentary which reveals the harm we are doing by existing in an ocean of man made wireless frequencies.
Two billion years ago life first arrived on this planet; a planet, which was filled with a natural frequency. As life slowly evolved, it did so surrounded by this frequency. and Inevitably, it began tuning in.
By the time mankind arrived on earth an incredible relationship had been struck; a relationship that science is just beginning to comprehend.
Research is showing that being exposed to this frequency is absolutely integral to us. It controls our mental and physical health, it synchronizes our circadian rhythms, and it aids our immune system and improves our sense of wellbeing.
Not only are we surrounded by natural frequencies, our bodies are filled with them too. Our cells communicate using electro magnetic frequencies. Our brain emits a constant stream of frequencies and our DNA delivers instructions, using frequency waves. Without them we couldn't exist for more than a second.
This delicate balance has taken billions of years to perfect. But over the last 25 years the harmony has been disturbed. and disturbed dramatically.
Mankind has submerged itself in an ocean of artificial frequencies. They are all around us, filling the air and drowning out the earth's natural resonance.
To the naked eye the planet appears to be the same. But at a cellular level it is the biggest change that life on earth has endured; the affects of which we are just starting to see and feel.
The Non-Thermal Effects of Radio Frequencies on Trees by Dr. Andrew Goldsworthy
- Parent Category: Health
There is quite a lot of information on the non-thermal effects of radio frequencies on trees on the BEMRI website. See
What evidence is there for this? According to studies made in the 1990's on the effects of the VHF radar station at Skrunda in Latvia, the growth rings of trees were reduced during the period in which the station was operational and the pine needles made more resin (an indication of cellular stress). Incidentally, just for the record, a parallel study on the performance of schoolchildren in tests was significantly reduced in the main beam of the station compared with those in relative safety behind the antennas.
For my part, I was first alerted to these effects many years ago by a couple of Forestry Commission workers who thought that Die-back in Oak was correlated with the path of microwave transmission links, where they skimmed the surface of the trees. At first, I didn't believe it; that is until I saw what was happening to the trees around an old and powerful Vodafone mast near my local park. Many of the Oaks in the park within about 400 metres of the mast are suffering from severe die-back and one is now just a dead skeleton. Many of the badly damaged and dead trees have now been removed by the council, including many conifers and a whole row of dead Silver Birch extending up to about 300 metres from the Mast. The symptoms are those of drought, abnormal growth patterns, cancer-like growths beneath the bark ,and fungal disease.
Most of these effects can be attributed to the effects of the radio waves on the pigment cryptochrome. This is one of many pigments used by plants to detect the presence and wavelength of light, but most important of all, it forms a vital part of the biological clock that controls their circadian rhythms and it is also affected by radio waves. The mechanism of its radio sensitivity depends on the quantum mechanics of an electron's ability to move between two free radicals. This was first discovered by Ritz and his co-workers (Nature 249: May 13th, 177-180, 2004) in relation to magnetic navigation in robins, which use cryptochrome to sense the direction of the Earth's magnetic field. Navigation was upset by a broad range of frequencies up to about 7MHz. If this is also true of the cryptochrome that controls the biological clock in plant cells, then modulated or pulsed radiation containing any of these frequencies could upset their circadian rhythms and have potentially devastating effects.
Circadian rhythms are important in both animals and plants because they enable them to anticipate the arrival of dawn and dusk to get their enzymes and metabolic pathways ready in time (See "Introducing Biological Rhythms". Koukkari and Sothern: Springer 2006). In plants, they begin opening the stomata and synthesising photosynthetic enzymes before dawn. In both plants and animals, they control the immune system. In plants, it works best during the day when there is spare energy available from photosynthesis, but in animals it works best when we are asleep at night when the lack if physical activity make more energy available for it.
These circadian rhythms can usually go on for several cycles without external signals from the environment, but eventually they fade out under constant conditions. When this happens, at no time will the immune system function at maximum efficiency and the animal or plant becomes more susceptible to disease. Although much of the work has not yet been published, studies in the Netherlands indicate that in some plants at least, modulated microwaves cause these circadian rhythms to fade out, with a partial loss of immune function.
Photographic studies made in the Netherlands and throughout Europe has also shown a progressive increase in the occurrence of tumour-like growths beneath the bark of urban trees over the last decade or so, which corresponds in time to the increases usage of mobile phones and WiFi. There also seems to be an increase in splits in the bark, which then become infected by various organisms and could be a mode of entry for various pathogens, which, together with a loss of immune function, could be the perfect storm.
All this needs checking out with a properly funded and independent research programme, and if governments are not prepared to do this, we must surely ask why.
Dr Andrew Goldsworthy
Lecturer in Biology (retired)
Imperial College London
1,2,3,4g - Now it's Mobile Phone masts in Conservation Areas
- Parent Category: Home
Not content with the current tilted planning system the Mobile Operators are hoping to slew the planning regulations in their favour still further.
Bosses at Vodafone, O₂, EE and Three met Maria Miller, the Culture Secretary, to push for a shake-up of rules in the protected areas, including many parks, town squares and village greens. The companies want the rules relaxed so they can meet government targets for the introduction of super-fast 4G coverage.
The companies want urban conservation areas put on an equal footing with ordinary parts of towns or cities, so that the public only has 56 days to raise objections to masts up to 15 metres tall. The 56 days would start from the point at which a council announced the plans, for example by putting up notices.
Reconnect - Movie - A documentary on cell phones and the potential negative health effects
- Parent Category: Home
"I’m Kevin Kunze the director of Reconnect, a documentary on the potential negative health effects from cell phone radiation, the proposed policies regarding safer use, and the mainstream media’s portrayal of the issue.
I’ve been working on this film for nearly two years interviewing doctors, politicians, cancer patients, and representatives from the cell phone industry. Although we’re nearly finished with the film there is still a lot that needs to be done, including: filming additional b-roll, motion graphics, composing an original score, color correction, sound mixing, licensing footage, submitting to film festivals, and creating an interactive website. Take a minute to watch our trailer and see how far we've come."
EM Radiation Trust Press Release : Prof' Yury Grigoriev calls for order
- Parent Category: Media
Professor Yury Grigoriev calls for order and the world needs to listen:
"Man conquered the Black Plague, but he has created new problems - EMF pollution"
The Russian National Committee on Non-Ionizing Radiation Protection has agreed to provide a detailed report for the world containing clear information on the most important Russian research results in RF/EMF radiation over the past 50 years.
RF/EMF researchers and environmental activists, Eileen O’Connor, Director for the UK Radiation Research Trust charity and Sissel Halmøy, Chairman for the International EMF Alliance and Secretary General for the Citizens´ Radiation Protection in Norway recently returned from a trip to meet with top scientists at the Russian Federation.
Halmøy said: “According to the RNCNIRP, the following health hazards are likely to be faced by children who use mobile phones in the near future: disruption of memory, decline of attention, diminishing learning and cognitive abilities, increased irritability, sleep problems, increase in sensitivity to the stress, increased epileptic readiness. Action must be taken immediately to adopt biologically based guidelines to protect children.” Current standards are based more on engineering needs than biological studies.
O’Connor said “The Russian report is a gift to the world. The UK Radiation Research Trust will present the report in the Autumn to the Rt Hon Iain Duncan Smith MP and will be forwarded to the UK Chief Medical Officer, Professor Dame Sally Davies.”
She added “Russian scientists are advanced in their knowledge on RF/EMF radiation and have extended the hand of friendship and are willing to share their expertise and knowledge. I hope decision makers from the western world accept this great honour and work together.”
Russian research offers crucial and important aspects of developmental relevance that conveys a sense of urgency for the global RF/EMF framework. Without it, national governments may not be able to ensure the health of future generations are protected, especially that of our children.
Russian warnings exists urging pregnant women to avoid using mobile phones entirely along with children under eighteen. Likewise, Germany, India, the United Kingdom, Israel, Finland, Belgium and Toronto, Canada, have issued health warnings for children to not use mobile phones, or for emergency use only. Unfortunately, most children, parents, doctors and teachers are not aware of this important information.
Furthermore, in May 2011 the World Health Organisation and IARC issued a classification stating that radio frequency - electromagnetic fields are possibly carcinogenic to humans (group 2B). This warning is issued not only for mobile phones and phone masts, but for Wi-Fi, smart meters, wireless computers and all applications of technology on the RF/EMF Spectrum (radio-frequency radiation to electromagnetic radiation.)
Chairman of Russian National Committee on Non-Ionizing Radiation Protection, member of International Advisory Committee of WHO "EMF and Health" Professor Yury Grigoriev said: “The brain is a critical organ. Vital brain structures are under EMF exposure daily when using a mobile phone. The brain is made up of permanent complex biophysical processes and vital functions. We need to take care with mobile phones and use distance and reduce time. Children should use mobile phones for emergencies only and also use hands free.”
Deputy Chairman, Russian National Committee on Non-Ionizing Radiation Protection, Professor Oleg Grigoriev said: “We need correct control and assessment of electromagnetic pollution. There are currently a lot of new frequencies containing modulation and no one knows the results which could be a serious problem.”
Russian scientists are also warning countries throughout the world including ministries of health and other organizations, responsible for the population safety (including children), to pay attention to the regulation of mobile phones and Wi-Fi use in kindergardens and are recommending the usage of wired networks in schools and educational institutions, rather than a network using wireless broadband systems, including Wi-Fi.
The Russians stand by their solid research which has consistently shown that prolonged exposure to RF/EMF radiation disturbs cognitive function.
For protection from RF/EMF non-ionizing radiation, many countries have adopted a set of guidelines provided by private group of industry-friendly scientists known as ICNIRP. The ICNIRP guidelines are for short-term, acute thermal RF/EMF exposure. The current ICNIRP, IEEE standards are based on the preconceived and out dated view of government authorities that the only possible established biological effect of RF/EMF exposure is tissue heating.
The Russian standards are supported by science as a result of extensive research and take into account the dangers of non-thermal exposure. The standards are also backed by the Russian Ministry of Health and are a small fraction of what is allowed by ICNIRP and the IEEE which is currently adopted in many counties.
Research clearly underlines the need for action on mobile phones and wireless technology. We need to launch global government backed hard-hitting advertising campaign especially for children, and large health warnings should be clearly visible on all RF/EMF emitting equipment. Mass media campaigns can also create awareness.
O’Connor said: “I am grateful to the Rt Hon Iain Duncan Smith for offering to submit the Russian report to the UK Chief Medical Officer and hope that Government and health agencies worldwide listen to concerns raised by Russian and independent scientists and urgently adopt health based RF/EMF standards to protect human health. We need to provide as swift solution to this problem as soon as possible. We simply cannot afford to wait.”
Russian scientists recognise the value of non-Government groups in discussion and research. Deputy Chairman, Russian National Committee on Non-Ionizing Radiation Protection, Professor Oleg Grigoriev said: “We need to include non-Government groups in discussion and research. Non-Government groups play an equal importance to Government and the scientific community. NGO’s are a new power and are representing people with electrosensitivity (ES) and should be an equal player.”
He added that “If the decisions are not made together with the NGOs, then decisions may have no value.”
The UK Radiation Research Trust, Citizens´ Radiation Protection in Norway and International EMF Alliance are calling for the Governments to engage with NGO’s and Independent (non-telecommunications funded) scientists.
It’s time for action!
Professor Oleg Grigoriev, Head of Department of Non-Ionizing Radiation,
Federal Medical Biophysical Center of Federal Medical Biological Agency of Russia
Deputy Chairman, Russian National Committee on Non-Ionizing Radiation Protection
Director, Center for Electromagnetic Safety
Professor Yury Grigoriev, Chairman of Russian National Committee on Non-Ionizing Radiation Protection, a member of Int. Advisory Committee of WHO "EMF and Health"
Eileen O’Connor, Founder and Board member for the International EMF Alliance and
Director of UK EM Radiation Research Trust www.radiationresearch.org
We were hacked but we are back.
A common event for all sites opposing powerful interests.